Saturday, April 3, 2010

Machine Quilting

I have been machine quilting today. Yesterday on my sample piece I learned a few things.


I liked the way the sun was shining on this
and showing the dimensions - not a tip!!

1. Make sure to take breaks and rest your eyes!! I worked for over an hour, last night, trying out Diane Gaudynski's tips and I don't think I blinked once!! My eyes are still recovering! Today I have just been working for little bits of time.


2. Slow down the speed of the machine!! Yesterday when I was blog surfing I came across the name Charlie from qubeequilts, mentioned several times by various people. He has fantastic tips on his blog. One thing I tried was slowing down the speed that the machine will sewing!! WOW, this made such a huge difference to my quilting!! I had a lot more control.

You can't really tell, but there is a bird quilted where the light is shining. I got the idea from Ivory Spring, from the bird feather motif in the Freebies, Ideas, Tutorials section of the sidebar. There is lots of other machine quilting tips there too.


3.Reduce the amount of pressure that the presser foot exerts. When I machine quilt, I don't change the settings on my machine (I have a Husqvarna 870 Quilt and I can change to a free motion setting), I don't even lower the feed dogs. I find that I have more control. This only works when I use the free motion foot with the spring on it. I have ordered the open toed foot - apparently it is supposed to be better.

4. Use a sharp pointed needle (not a universal). Try to find thread that works for you and your machine - there is nothing more frustrating than thread that breaks constantly!!

I am so pleased with this Diane Gaudynski book that I purchased (I know that I have mentioned this before, but now I have tried it out).

It is spiral bound, and so lays nice and flat. It also is nice and small, so it is easy to keep beside you when you are working.

I can't say enough about this book! The book is a fantastic read (very rare in any do-it-yourself book). It seems to incorporate years of experience and many lessons learned -lots of advice for a beginner and more experienced quilter. I was also thrilled to sit down and work from the book. I was so surprised at how my quilting improved. Thanks Diane!! ♥

Some one else learned a lesson today -

- don't try going down a black dirt road after a day of rain!!

Have a great day!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...