Monday, October 4, 2010

Don't Give Up on Free Motion Quilting

I hear lots of people saying that free motion quilting on their home sewing machines is too hard, but perseverance pays off!

This is a quilt that I made last October (2009) -

Here is a close up of one of the feathered wreaths in the plain squares -


Pretty bad! But I have learned a lot since then, with lots of practice, reading and experimenting.
This is a close up of a feathered wreath I quilted last month on the Diamonds at Large quilt -


So don't give up!! You get better all the time!!
The above scrap quilt is a great reminder for me of how far I have come in machine quilting. Still learning, always!

Karen from For the Love of Needle and Thread has a great post showing how she is doing at free motion quilting.

Janet from Quilsalott shares some great free motion quilting - the idea is from Jenny Bowker.

Blogs are a great resource for learning, here are some that inspire me -

Diane Gaudynski
Feather on a Wire
Joan at Leschenault
There are lots of other great ones out there too!

Here is what I have been working on - quilting my Mother's quilt (all finished) -

Loops and butterflies for the main part

and leaves for the border.

I did a post on this type of quilting in April - here is the link for my favorite easy free motion quilting designs.

When my youngest son was little it took him a couple of years of fishing before he ever caught a fish - he called himself a "casterman" instead of a fisherman, he didn't get discouraged, he enjoyed casting, he just wasn't a "fisherman" until he caught a fish.

Here he is a couple of years ago with his first fish - now he is a fisherman. He says the same thing about quilting - if you don't actually quilt your quilt, are you a quilter?


Over at My Red (Yellow) Farmhouse she is calling October - Blog-tober and blogging everyday for the month. I thought I would give it a try too. So I think I will be blogging about all kinds of things this month - I think sewing everyday might be easier than blogging everyday! I'll see!!

Sue over at Alderwood Quilts has a Go! Cutter to give away!!!

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...