Friday, November 12, 2010

Another Mini Quilt and a Memory

In the Quilt Whisperer course that I took, Carla said that PPP (practice, practice, practice) was the most important thing in getting better at machine quilting, so that is what I have been trying to do. Mini quilts are a great, fast way to try new things.

I made this little 16" square mini quilt using leftover layer cake/charm square fabric, plus some leftover yardage. The fabric is "Alliance" by Howard Marcus. The center is made up of 1" squares and the borders are 5" wide. The quilting designs of free formed feathered hearts, swags, echoes and pebbles in the border and cross-hatching in the center (with a walking foot). I tried making the focus for the quilting in the center of the border rather than the corners. I used wool batting.

I used brown Invisafil and a #70 Microtex needle on my home sewing machine. I found that it was easiest to make the pebbles in a figure "8" pattern, looping one way and then the other.

I wanted to use an old hanger to hang the quilt from, so -

I made some little fabric tabs that I pinned to the back of the quilt.


DEM 1961-1989

On this day in 1989, my oldest brother died, he was 28 years old. He was very thoughtful and kind brother. The week before I started university he came to me and said that we were going there to find out where all my classes were, and when I was learning to drive, he would come to me and say lets go for a drive - never had to ask - just lets go! He was adventurous and had traveled all over the world. The last time I talked to him was the morning I was leaving to back-pack around Europe - he was so excited for me and gave me all kinds of tips. He died a month later - scuba diving at West Hawk Lake. He had just finished articling as a CA and was doing the things he loved after 3 years of hard work and studying. He is sadly missed by my family. I know that we are never forgotten by those who love us.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...