Thursday, December 2, 2010

Finishes and A Recipe

I have a couple of finishes this week.

I finished sewing on the binding of the log cabin table topper.

I decorated my house for Christmas this week and the table topper is a great addition to the decorations.

I also made a tatted snowflake. I used #10 Cebelia and two shuttles, it is almost 5" across. The pattern is motif #17, from DMC's Festive Tatting. It is probably my favorite tatted snow flake pattern.

I wanted to share this delicious recipe for caramel honey pecan bars I made today, . The mixture of honey and cinnamon makes this a really wonderful version of pecan bars. It always wins rave reviews.

It is from this cookbook. I think bars and squares are much easier than cookies (the recipe is on the cover).


Caramel Honey Pecan Bars

Crust -

½ cup pecan halves
2½ cups flour
1 cup cold butter, cubed
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, beaten

Filling -

3½ cups pecan halves
3/4 cup butter
½ cup honey
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ cup whipping (35%) cream

Crust - In a food processor, process pecans until fine. Add flour, butter, sugar and egg (I don't beat it before, although the recipe calls for it, and it works fine). Process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press evenly into a greased jelly roll pan (15" x 10" x 1" pan). Bake in 350°F preheated oven, until edges are lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes.

Filling - Sprinkle pecan halves evenly over hot crust (you can make the bars more attractive by turning all the pecans right side up). Set aside. In a large, heavy saucepan melt butter and honey. Add brown sugar and cinnamon, and boil, stirring constantly until mixture is a rich caramel colour, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in whipping cream, mixing well (be very careful of the steam created). Pour evenly over pecans.
Return to oven and bake until top is bubbly, about 15 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on rack. Cut into bars (40-48 bars). The bars freeze well.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...