Monday, February 28, 2011

D's Quilt Officially Finished

The label is sewn -

so now the pinwheel quilt is officially finished! (I tried some Zentangling on the label.)


It is my first PhD Challenge quilt finished!!

This quilt is made from fabric that I inherited from a family friend. My youngest son wanted to design a quilt on EQ7, and he came up with this quilt to use the fabric. He also sewed a few of the blocks.
The quilt is 62" x 74". The pinwheels are 12" blocks, made with 6+7/8" squares to make the HST's. It has 7" borders.
I used wool batting (Tuscany Heirloom) and flannel backing.

I quilted it on my home sewing machine, with lots of free form feathers (no marking - too lazy!). I thought that the black fabric was the main fabric and the grey the background, so I did feathers in all the black, but once I started adding "McTavishing" to the grey areas, I realized that the feathers weren't noticeable, so I added a few feathers to the grey.
I used mostly Invisafil (100wt) on the top and Aurifil (which I buy from Tristan) for the bobbin. I did have to switch to all Aurifil for the last 3 borders because the bobbin case kept jumping out of place. I had no problems once there was Aurifil in the top. I think the Invisafil was too static - I did try putting it in the freezer for a bit and it helped for a while.

The switch in thread is not noticeable.
I tried a new (to me) border design that was lots of fun - free form feathers that had all different sizes of "blobs" (I am sure there is a technical term?).

The back of the quilt.
The stay stitching lines aren't really noticeable. A few people made a suggestion to use thread that washes out for the stay stitching - great idea - thanks!!

Do rabbits have clocks?

I started noticing that every morning, just before 8 am, the rabbits come to the back door. It is the time that I normally have some fruit/vegetable trimmings from breakfast and school lunch preparations to throw out. OK, I guess they have me trained!! They usually get a little something extra!! They're so cute!

Tonight's sunset.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...