Thursday, December 6, 2012

December Free Motion Quilting Challenge

The December Sew Cal Gal Free Motion Quilting Challenge was with Patsy Thompson, and it was all about borders.


It is always good to try something new, and this month for me is was  feathers on a "roller coaster" spine. Since I don't have the bendable ruler that Patsy Thompson talked about, I made a template with paper to mark the spine - although I didn't stitch the spine first like I normally do. On the video Patsy showed a beautiful way to quilt feathers that was also new to me.


I used a dark purple 50Wt thread for quilting the feathers,


it is easier to see them on the back.

the border was a mirror image
Then I added "hyper quilting" with a green thread.


Hard to see the feathers on the front in this photo, but the hyper quilting helped the design to be more visible in real life. I can't wait to try this style of quilting out on some plainer fabric.
Thanks to Patsy Thompson for a wonderful lesson!

It is sad to see the challenge come to an end. Thank-you so much SewCalGal!

Here is a post on my finished sampler quilt.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!

Also thanks to everyone who left comments about adding photos on blogger (I have used up all my available space and didn't want to buy more). I now use my "point and shoot" camera set to the smallest picture setting, and have no problems uploading pictures.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...